Thursday, July 1, 2010

Pittsburgh Pirates

 

Well, after a little bit of paperwork for work, I hit the road at about 9:30, a little later than I had hoped.  I was not even 30 miles in when I got pulled over for speeding.  I had done a 4800 mile trip with no problems, and now the stupid Winston police are being buggers.  Argh.  But moving on, I got to travel through beautiful West Virginia, actually on a route I had never been.  US19N past Fayetteville, through Morgantown via I-79.  Once again, WV did not disappoint.  Beautiful country as always.

I made it to Raccoon SP in PA with just enough time to pitch my tent and head in to Pitt.  I still had to buy my ticket when I got there at 7:00.  Who knew traffic could be so bad going into Pittsburgh?  While I was waiting in line though, A man came up wanting to get rid of a ticket.  I asked how much, and he said $10, he had season tickets and he wasn’t going to be using both.  I only had $6 cash though, but that was good enough for him.  I saw that it was a $26 face value, and figured the seats might be OK.  They ended up being about 20 rows right behind home plate.  Absolutely great seats.

The park is pretty.  The great skyline backdrop with the yellow pedestrian Clemente bridge in the background.  It seems small, although it does seem, sitting in the bottom part, that the front row of the upper deck seems far back.  A couple complaints though.  The food service seemed very slow, and thus the long lines clogged up the concourse, making it hard to walk around.  But the chili cheese dog wasn’t bad for 5.50, and pierogis (apparently uncooked ravioli looking things) weren’t too bad either.  And if you looked hard enough, they had some good beer selection beyond the bud light junk on tap.  The game was close, a 3-2 win over the Phillies.  And since it was the Phillies, the stadium was probably 3/4 full (and 1/2 Phillie red) which I’m sure is a high for them this year.

Now that I am back at the campsite, I realize that this park is in the flight plan of the airport.  Too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment