Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Bowling Green (KY) Hot Rods

 

Well, I left Taylorsville SP without hiking, to go see Abe Lincoln’s birthplace and boyhood home (That is the spring you see in the picture)  Kind of small, but neat to think one of the greatest Americans ever started right there.

But the big reason to get going this morning was to get to Mammoth Cave NP.  I wanted to get in a tour this afternoon before my game.  I went on the Violet Lantern Light tour.  Instead of the usual lights they have for the tours, the had us carry old school lanterns.  A little spooky, although with 40 people and 15 lanterns, you weren’t tripping over anything in the dark.  The moment you are in the cave, it went from 85 and muggy outside to a crisp 54 inside.  And let me tell you, from minute 1 of this 3 hr tour, I knew why they call it Mammoth Cave.  I also know that I am going to try and go on another one tomorrow.  And maybe become a spelunker.  WOW!  And I haven’t even gone to the part with the stalactites and stalagmites yet.  WOW!  Absolutely amazingly huge.  I don’t remember exactly the numbers on some of the rooms, but he was talking in acres! And they were like 100 ft tall also.  Although he said if Niagara Falls was flowing into it, it would take just 30 seconds.

The game – it started late due to the passing storm we got(must’ve happened when I was in the cave)  So I got to the store to get my hat and saw a poster of all the minor league hats!  Unfortunately, it was an ad and not something I could get.  But another cool hat here, and their alternate was pretty sweet too.  The game had a lot of strikeouts by the BG pitcher, I lost track how many.  Small and not lively crowd.  Also, for a new stadium, it didn’t look to pretty from the outside, and just average from the inside.  I don’t know much about BG, but hopefully they can support a team better than this.  Because it was an enjoyable atmosphere, all that minor-league entertainment stuff was there.

1 comment:

  1. wow. i read about mammoth caves after going on my first cave tour here up north in ny. they're like the largest in the US. what'd you think of them? are they as impressive as they're made out to be?

    ReplyDelete