Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Louisville Bats

Another day started with some more moderate hiking, about 5 miles.  At the top I had a nice view of the lake formed by a TVA dam.  A nice viewing area you could drive too as well.  But after that, hit the road towards Louisville.  Some nostalgia here- going up I75, I passed by Caryville, TN, where I went on ASP in ‘95.  Ah, back in the simpler days. 

The past couple of times I have done this minor-league trip, I have had a notebook in the truck to take notes on as I am driving, or at the end of the day.  I like to take note of funny things I see, pieces of Americana that are as much a part of this trip as baseball.  It makes me a bit sad that I may be losing a bit of handwritten history in favor of this e-history.  What could we have known about history if Thomas Jefferson had a blog?

Anyway, the other crazy part of my drive was in my rear mirror.  All of a sudden, I see a pickup careening all over the road, then into the median grass at 70mph!  He keeps swerving, and almost goes into the oncoming side of traffic.  He stops after a bit, and I kept driving.  Yikes.

The game- a bit humdrum.  Bats won, 3-1. I usually don’t mind a pitching duel, but I didn’t even realize it was one until about the 4th inning.  Curtis Granderson was on rehab from the Yankees, he went 0-3.  Nice stadium, although it was in a odd neighborhood.  It seems like one of those ‘If we build it here, maybe this will make it better’ stadiums, but it hasn’t worked out.  Has a nice view of the I-65 bridge, and more $1 hot dogs.  I had only 5 tonight.  Good thing tomorrow isn’t that promotion again.  It says a crowd of 7400? 3500 at best I say.  It could be cool if they had more people in the stands though.  I guess Tuesdays aren’t hoppin in Louisville.

Another hat with purple. Yuck. And a ripoff of the old Greensboro Bats.

When I got to my campsite to pick it out, I heard a noise in the woods, and looked in 15 yards to see a deer turn, raise its white tail and bound away.  I chose that site.  Now I have a symphony of frogs, crickets, and who knows what else.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know who was sitting in the white t-shirt a bit in front of you in the third picture? It almost looks like it is Tom Beavin!

    Mom says that you could go ahead and get a spiral notebook, so you have the written log. Also, was the Sam Adams truck picture on the road and moving (!), or parked someplace?

    Love to hear your stories. Also, any chance of changing your diet to something other than hot dogs galore?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete