Monday, May 24, 2010

Tennessee Smokies

 

I started the day by climbing Mt Pisgah, 6mi round trip from the campground.  A tough uphill, and it was a foggy mountain top.  I was thinking on the hike, ‘It isn’t always about the destination, but about the journey.’  I don’t know who said that first, but it is a good philosophy that can be taken towards so many different aspects of life.

Mileage starting:93411

Tent takedown: 5:36

Tent up:8:22 (a regression… not good)

Uneventful trip to the next campground, which isn’t totally tent friendly(sloped sites better suited to popups) but with a little bit extra time before the game, I went to visit UTennessee in Knoxville.  Very underwhelming, honestly.  Average architecture, no central area that I could distinguish(like the quad at Illinois) and Neyland Stadium was kind of blah.  Good thing Knoxville has the sunsphere, or it might have been a waste of time. 
Onto the game… When I was waiting in line to buy my ticket, some lady came around with an extra ticket to give away.  I got it.  That is karma for giving the free tickets I won on last year’s trip to some little kid. Tennessee is the Cubs’ AA affiliate, which is the first Cubs minor league game I have ever seen.  The stadium is another one with a hilly backdrop, although I’ve seen better.  Low attendance, but maybe it is the in between of UT being in session and summer’s vacation rush to nearby Dollywood. 

$1 Hot dog night was a godsend, although they start to get expensive when you eat 6 of them.  Another perk of being a Cubs affiliate- Old Style on tap. I’m not sure I am a huge fan of the tricolor hat, kind of reminds me of the Expos.  Especially when the alternate hat has a growling bear on it.  But I like the script TS, and it is associated with the Cubs, so it is ok.

The Smokies won 3-2 in the bottom of the ninth, on a sac fly after being down 2-1 going into it.  The crowd, who had been rained on for the 5th-8th innings, finally got into it.

1 comment:

  1. IS that hat resting on your foot?
    6 miles to START the day?
    Love your stories!!

    ReplyDelete