Sunday, May 30, 2010

Memphis Redbirds

 

Left Nashville, and got to Memphis early enough to do some sightseeing before the game.  I went to Sun Records, where Elvis, among others, was discovered.  Definitely cool.

The stadium was definitely worthy of a AAA team.  Nice facade, Classic brick look, with the dark green seats, light standards, etc.  Had plenty of suites to make the corporations happy, a nice lawn area in the left field home run area(they got 2 tonight) to make the families happy, and $7 beers to make the brewers happy.  Major league prices thats for sure.  I think I read that HOK architects designed this one.  I definitely see that.  (They have done a lot of the new-retro pro stadiums)  And it is right downtown, just a couple blocks off of Beale St.  So I woefully got their ballcap, since they are a Cardinals affiliate.  I usually wear the cap all the next day until I get to the next game, but I won’t tomorrow.  Seeing all that Cardinal red made me sick.  So I think I will wear a different cap until I get to Little Rock.  The game itself was a blow out, the Albuquerque Isotopes(yes, that is right Simpsons fans) won 16-6, and Andre Ethier was on rehab from the Dodgers tonight, and he was 2-4 I think. 
While I was in Memphis I went to Beale St and heard some music.  Some blues at BB King’s club before the game and some Dueling Pianos at Silky O’Sullivans after.  It is another cool town to walk down the street and hear so much music.  They actually closed off Beale St to car traffic, creating a mini (and less debaucherous) Bourbon St.  Lots of people, lots of open containers.  Fun time, and I should probably come back sometime to see more music.  I saw in the bar after the game that the Blackhawks won!  3 more to go, too bad I can’t watch them.

1 comment:

  1. No red hats allowed, heh??! Am I inferring correctly that you have a thing about anything to do with Cardinals? You know how much your mom likes cardinals - note the lower case c!!

    ReplyDelete