Friday, May 21, 2010

Winston-Salem Dash

So tonight was the first game, at the new stadium in Winston.  A few things to say.  I know W-S is only half an hour away, and each time I go there, I know why I don’t go there much.  No matter where I’ve been in WS, it always seems sketchy.  The park is on the outskirts of downtown I think, and maybe it will spur an urban revival.  Let’s hope so.  The park is great, has a quirky outfield wall.  A little Fenway-ish.  Not too many nice concession stands it seemed.  Worst pretzel ever.  Very dry, and it didn’t help that I didn’t have a beverage.  The game was good, they won 13-3.  A scary moment at the end though.  With one strike left to go, the Lynchburg batter got beaned in the head, and dropped like a sack of potatoes.  He got up after a minute, and walked off under his own power. Fireworks after, 7 minutes worth.  Not bad, but no turkey killers.

IMG_4475 IMG_4484 IMG_4474

2 comments:

  1. As I recall, when we were young, Scott Elmore would call the really loud ones that. He said that the turkeys were so stupid that when they got scared by the loud bangs, they would all pile into a corner of the pen and suffocate each other. This was probably in the Bangor days maybe

    ReplyDelete