Friday, June 4, 2010

Corpus Christi Hooks

 

There were  a couple more missions to see in San Antonio before I left.  The one with the bells is San Juan Capistrano.  They are actually still functioning as Catholic parishes.  Traveling down to Corpus Christi, I decided to get off the interstate again.  I think there are less people traveling back roads here than in IL. The roads are in better condition in IL.   A town here looked like it had all dirt roads.  Through Corpus Christi (a surprising population of 277,000) to Padre Island, my site for tonight.  That picture is my tent on the beach.  Cool, huh?  Just wait for the sunrise pictures tomorrow.

I took a long walk on the beach.  There was a ton of seaweed out, but no oil!  Lots of little crabs scurrying around, and gulls above.  I actually walked far enough to get blisters on my big toes.

The stadium is called Whataburger Field, after a fast food chain.  I am going to go home and see if we can get our stadium Cookout Field, then maybe we can get shakes all the time!  The exterior wasn’t brick, and not particularly inspiring.  But once inside, there are some nice touches.  You have the bridge past centerfield, and part of the scoreboard is mounted on this seaport-looking metal hut thing, which was nice.  There were tons of things to have kids do so you wouldn’t have to have them watch baseball, even a basketball court.  And lots of the restaurant seating was where you couldn’t see the game, also odd.  But the game was good, the Hooks beat the dreaded Springfield Cardinals into the ground, 8-1.  I’ve noticed a few stadiums recently that have an organ playing.  I don’t know for sure if it is really an organ, or a recording of one.  I think it is real though.  They still have their piped in music too, but it is great to hear an organ at the park.

1 comment:

  1. Conner totally thinks the camping spot is awesome (as do I!) and I'm ALL about Cookout shakes- sounds like a good idea to me!

    ReplyDelete