Monday, June 7, 2010

Gwinnett Braves

 

In the morning, I went back into Auburn, to walk around campus a bit and get a hat.  Very pretty campus, but boring football stadium. Just concrete from outside.  Onto the Tuskegee Airmen National Historic Site(not much) to the Tuskegee Institue NHS (George Washington Carver museum, nicely done).  Horseshoe Bend NMP, the site of Andrew Jackson’s battle against the Creek Indians(one of the last stands before the whites ran them off their land) was well done.  I’ve seen a variety of battlefields over the past couple of years, and it always amazes me how small they are.  I couldn’t imagine 5000 people there, let alone there at war.  Yikes.

So onto Gwinnett. I’ve been looking forward to this for a while, since my cousin Russ and his family live nearby.  So I met up with Russ and Brandon(age 8), and we got to the game just in time.  The stadium was average, nothing special.  Although it did have a 20 ft retaining wall behind LF, which didn’t allow for any lawn seating.  But plenty in RF, with a nice view of the bullpens.  It was great to see Russ and Brandon, and get to see a game with them.  Russ sure had fun.  He was up to no good, and talked to the MC, who does the between innings entertainment.  He told him about my trip, so I got announced about during the break, and my face on the big screen sitting next to the MC.  I didn’t have to answer any questions, but it was cool.  The Braves won.  The hat, as with other Braves’ affiliates, was a knockoff of the Braves’ tomahawk.  Kind of boring.  It was great to finally have someone to watch a game with!  Almost home…

1 comment:

  1. way to go Russ-way to speak up for Matt ;) Too bad you don't have a pic of yourself on the screen. How cool though! Glad y'all had fun together.

    ReplyDelete