Sunday, June 6, 2010

Mobile Bay Bears

 

Well, today was pretty ;ame from the get go.  I knew I had the longest drive of the trip ahead of me, so I got an early start.  (Which was good, because last night’s campground was sketchy) Upon hitting the Louisiana border it started to get darker, and I ended up driving in some terrible storms. Like 100 yd visibility.  But I got through fine (fortunately, since I saw some bad wrecks on the side of the road) To my campsite in Mobile.  I set up my tent, knowing that the weather was going to cause a rough night.  I had time to heat some soup up and enjoy it, with thunder in the distance.  I went to my tent to change for the game and didn’t leave it for 45 minutes.  That was the worst storm I had ever felt in a tent.  It was very high winds and driving rain.  My tent, which now had gotten two cracked poles already(out of two) was being blown inward, on the verge of collapse.  Good thing I know how to drive a tent stake.  My tent is 9x7, maybe 4ft tall in the middle.  Plenty big for 1.  During the storm I was squatting in the middle, and the left side was being blown in so much that it was touching me.  Thunder and lightning all around, which I generally don’t mind, and the tent was holding up well, all things considered.  Then a bolt of lightning hit, I swear, 50 ft away.  at least that is what it sounded like.  I thought a RV had exploded or something, one of the loudest things I’ve ever heard.  And I have been to a Metallica concert.  But the storm blew by, and off I went to a sunny, rainbow filled Mobile Bay Bears game. This would be game number 17 in 16 nights, thus surpassing last year’s trip.  Hank Aaron Stadium(he was born in Mobile) was one of those weird ones that the stands start 10 ft off the ground(Like Carolina Mudcats and the PawSox)  I don’t like that at all.  This one looked better than the other two, but its a no-go. And they had no cupholders.  By 830, after watching people squeegee the field for an hour and a half, they cancelled the game due to the condition of the outfield.  I understand, but I was livid.  My streak was broken by a poor drainage system. Argh.

1 comment:

  1. Poor drainage systems I understand, but why not sit in your truck during a lightning storm? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete