Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Greenville Drive

 

Well, after a good game last night, Russ gave me some tips on where to hike between his place and Greenville, tonight’s game.  So I got to go to the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail.  And boy, was it hard to get to.  You had a few options. A) park at a state park and walk 8.5 miles (one way) B)Drive up some unlabeled and seriously unpaved roads in the middle of nowhere, then hike 1 mile.  I chose option B, and took a wrong turn a couple of times, but I found the parking lot.  Then I hiked north on the AT instead of south.  I got 1.6 mi in to the first shelter when I turned around. I finally made it to the trailhead, a small vista over the mountains, with two plaques inlaid into the stone.  Nothing big, fancy, or very informative.  But really cool.  Maybe I should hike the whole thing.  But that’s another blog.

Then i went off to find Brasstown Bald, the highest point in GA.  Speaking of some crazy roads, definitely some nice winding roads to get there.  At least these were paved.  You could drive to within .6 miles of the peak, which was a steep but paved hike, up to a nice 360 observation deck, with views of TN, NC, GA. I’m not sure you could see SC. Then to Greenville- according to my calculations, it would be close for me getting there on time.

Well, it was close, and I missed the top of the first.  But I really enjoyed this game.  A beautiful stadium.  It is the low-A affiliate for the Red Sox, and this field was built like Fenway, with the same dimensions in the outfield.  It had the Pesky Pole, the Green Monster, the bullpens in right-center, and the weird jog out in center, with the 420ft. corner.  There were offices and/or apartments past leftfield, with people on the rooftops and balconies.  The crowd was large, and into the game.  Concessions were affordable, and there was a parking shuttle to a parking lot two blocks away, that was free.(not sure if the shuttle cost anything, I walked).  The lawn areas were pretty full of people.  A great park, and the Drive won.

So this was the last game of the trip.  I’ve had a great time, and seen so many things.  That said, I am going to be happy to be at home.  When the last out was made, a fly ball to RF, I actually felt a tinge of sadness.  But hey-  In three weeks, I get to do this again-  in the beautiful state of Michigan!  I am going to write a couple of summary blogs about this trip, then tune in July 1 for the next installment!!

No comments:

Post a Comment