Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Round Rock Express

 

Well, I had the highlight of my trip today.  But we’ll get back to that.  I hustled to break camp early, to get to the Rangers Ballpark in Arlington for a tour.  With poor signage on the roads, I barely made it, but it was a decent tour.  Got to see the clubhouse, press box, suite, dugout.  Not bad, although I would have like to see a view from above like we got in SF.  The new Cowboy Stadium is next door, and is awfully large, but looks good.

Hitting the road, poor signage once again had me take a little longer than necessary to get on the interstate.  At one point, I had signs on either side of the street pointing to IMG_4760different directions.  Down towards Waco, I had some free time and went to the Texas Sports Hall of Fame.  For how much history there was here, I was a little disappointed.  Baylor is also in Waco, and the 3 minute driving tour, it looked nice.

The game at Round Rock was against the Iowa Cubs, so another chance to see our future stars.  And Ryno.  This time I was able to get there a bit before game time, and he was singing autographs near the dugout.  I had brought my Cubs cap and a sharpie in anticipation of this.  So I stood in line, not knowing what to say when I got there, but it ended up something like this- “Can you sign this?” (no response) “Thank you sir”, Ryno-“Sure” And those 5 seconds were the greatest moment of this trip and I now have a Ryne Sandberg autographed Cubs hat, that I will never wear again, and will be displayed in a glass case. (maybe not a glass case)

Round Rock has a nice stadium, although kind of small for AAA I think, it did start out 10 years ago as a AA stadium.  Has a lot of berm in the outfield, which the Cubs hit two homeruns to, and a cool Homerun porch in LF.  Nice scoreboard, and two RHE boards on both 3rd and 1st base sides.  The people seemed to be into the game a bit more, and the stadium was maybe 2/3 full at best.  And the Cubs won 3-2, with Micah Hoffpauir getting a 9th inning HR and Schlitter saving the game.  Compared to Nashville where Hoffpauir got tossed and Schlitter blew the game in the ninth.  GO CUBS!

1 comment: