Monday, June 7, 2010

Montgomery Bicuits

 

Hitting the road, I jog off the direct route, to go through Florida for a few miles.    Upon coming into Montgomery, it is a nice city.  It has some good architecture downtown, at least around the capital where I went. I also saw MLK’s church.  It was a 2:05 game, and I was a little early, but headed to the park.  Right away, I liked it.  From the outside, it doesn’t even look like a stadium.  It looks like the old railroad station that it once was.  Going inside, there is nice wide concourse, and all the Biscuits (yes, that is there name) employees said “Hi, welcome”  The stadium didn’t really have a view of the skyline, bug it had a functioning train line within homerun distance out left field.  The rightfield wall also was odd, having a semicircle coming into the field.  The suites were also in the train station, so they looked unique from the field.  It also is a fun hat, with a biscuit peeking out from behind the M.  The game was good, with Montgomery winning 3-2.  There was hardly anyone there though, which was unfortunate.  It seems like it would be great if they had a full crowd.

Going on to my State park, I figured I would have a relaxing evening, but on the way there, I heard an Auburn baseball game on the radio.  Coincedentally, my campsite was about 5 minutes from their campus.  So I went to the game.  I got a ticket free from a passing motorist, which was good since it was packed.  This was an elimination game for the College World Series for Auburn, which was hosting their regional.  I had never been to a college baseball game before.  College baseball is not nearly as big up north.  But this was one of the most exciting games I have ever been to.  A back and forth game between Auburn and Clemson.  Auburn ended up getting a homerun in the ninth inning to win it, 11-10.  As you can imagine, the crowd went crazy.  The stadium was nice too, had a green monster type short leftfield. So add another game onto the list! 18 in 17 days so far.  Must have been karma from the rainout yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment